I have been having a great 2014 reading-wise thus far and I want to keep the train going with my first Bout of Books participation! For those that don’t know, here’s the official Bout of Books description:
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 6th and runs through Sunday, January 12th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 9.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. – From the Bout of Books team
I think for this readathon I will be focusing on shorter novels, in order to feel some sense of accomplishment in what I am able to read in a week. That said, I do have some books from the library that are about to be due back and a few more coming soon that I know I’ll want to get to ASAP, so I need to clear that TBR pile quickly! I would like to read at least 5 novels during the readathon.
I am going to choose from this stack of books, but reserve the right to add any that come in from my hold list!
- Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
- Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
- How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid
- Jepp, Who Defied the Stars by Katherine Marsh
- White Night by Jim Butcher
- Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
Monday, January 6:
- Pages Read Today: 420 pages
- Total Books Completed: 1
- Thoughts: Today I completed Jepp, Who Defies the Stars by Katherine Marsh – 384 pages – (review to come) and thought it was a very interesting read. I also started up on Earth Abides by George R. Stewart – 345 pages, which is a February book club read. That one is on my Kindle, so my pages are estimated, but I made it about 10% of the way through.
Tuesday, January 7:
- Pages Read Today: 370 pages
- Total Books Completed: 2
- Thoughts: Today I completed How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid – 230 pages – (review to come). I enjoyed this one very much, even though it was pretty far outside my normal reads. I picked it up on a recommendation from John Green’s Twitter and was not disappointed. I also got to about 50% complete with Earth Abides. I would probably have been able to get a bit further today, but both my son and husband are knocked out with the flu, so I had a ton of running around to do today.
Wednesday, January 8:
- Pages Read Today: 345 pages
- Total Books Completed: 3
- Thoughts: Today I completed Earth Abides. I likely will not review this one, but generally I did not really enjoy it. It was an older novel basically about the end of civilization as we know it following a disease sweeping the world and killing off most people. For me, it just didn’t hold up. There were too many offensive, older ways of thinking included and I didn’t connect with any of the characters. I also started Immortal In Death by J.D. Robb, which is the third in the In Death series, and got about 50% of the way through. Also, I broke 1,000 pages today! Hoorah!
Thursday, January 9:
- Pages Read Today: 738
- Total Books Completed: 6
- Thoughts: Ok, I kind of went reading crazy yesterday. I finished three books – the last 50% of Immortal In Death, all of Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta, and Entwined by Elizabeth Naughton. I think it is mostly because Saving Francesca was such a good book, I just flew through it. But also partially because I just could not sleep! Either way, who is going to complain about more reading! But that means I’m upping my goal to 8 books for the readathon.
Friday, January 10:
- Pages Read Today: 25
- Total Books Completed: 6
- Thoughts: I guess I was a little burnt out after yesterday because I barely read at all! I just started White Night which is the 9th book in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. And that was about it! I still feel good about where I am, but that 8 book goal looks slightly out of reach now. We shall see!
Saturday, January 11:
- Pages Read Today: 382
- Total Books Completed: 7
- Thoughts: Ok! Back on track! I finished up White Night and really loved it. The Dresden Files books just keep getting better. If you are at all interested in urban fantasy and somehow have missed this series, I highly urge you to correct this and power through the first three books. It is all worth it! This brings my pages total to 2,280 and 7 books read for the week. If this is the end of what I achieve, I am still SO thrilled! Plus, they have mostly been great books. Such an excellent week!
Sunday, January 12:
- Pages Read Today: 559+ a graphic novel (not counting those pages)
- Total Books Completed: 9.5, including the graphic novel
- Thoughts: Today I needed a bit of a brain break, so I started out with Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant by Tony Cliff. This was a fun adventure story graphic novel with a great female main character. Highly recommended – gorgeous art, fun story, I want more! Then I settled down and powered through Winger by Andrew Smith. When I first saw this novel, I thought no way would I be able to finish it in one day. But I just could NOT put it down! Such a great read. And then I read the first half of Rapture in Death by J.D. Robb, which is the fourth book in the In Death series.
I had such an excellent time in my first Bout of Books! I managed to read 4/6 of the books I started out wanting to read. I read 9.5 novels and managed to power through 2,839 pages, plus the graphic novel. I fully participated in two of the chats and at least stopped by to say hi in the third. I didn’t get to comment on as many blogs as I wanted, or participate in the challenges. That will definitely be part of my goals for next time. All in all, I was so thrilled with how this readathon went and will DEFINITELY be looking for more very soon!